Meghan Shop

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

How do you like your Christmas movies? Funny? Sweet? Or with a Red Ryder BB gun?

christmas-moviesImage Credit: Everett CollectionWhile my local Target happily broke out its festive red-and-green decorations before Halloween this year, personally, I’m just not all that comfortable finding Bing Crosby unironically cool, untangling a twisting string of tiny lights, and watching my favorite Christmas movies until after my calender reaches its final page. And whaddaya know, today is December 1! Happy holidays, PopWatchers!

So: What movie should I watch? Actually, if you’re my boyfriend or my mom, that’s a terribly silly question, since the obvious answer is that 2003 ensemble British gem Love Actually, which I believe I watched at least three times last year. If you’re my dad, meanwhile, the answer is clearly 1989's National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation; I can still vividly recall him laughing harder than I think I’d ever seen him when we saw it together in the theater. But while I certainly do enjoy watching Colin Firth speak halting Portuguese to his beloved with an entire village watching behind him, or Chevy Chase defy the laws of physics riding a metal disc snow sled, in my own heart of hearts, I will always hold 1983's A Christmas Story as my all time favorite Christmas film. From the frozen tongue to the sexy leg lamp, the Red Ryder BB gun to “Oh fudge,” it is sheer holiday perfection.

But that’s me. The great thing about Christmas movies is they come in so many different flavors. You’ve got animated (The Polar Express, The Nightmare Before Christmas), family comedy (Home Alone, Elf), irreverent adult comedy (Scrooged, Bad Santa), heartwarming black-and-white classicism (It’s a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street), and oh-yeah-I’d-kinda-forgotten-that-was-set-at-Christmas genre pics (Gremlins, Die Hard).

So, P-Dubs, what’s your favorite Christmas movie? Sound off in the message boards! If you need a reminder of when you can watch your favorite Christmas films, check out EW’s Holiday TV Guide here!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment