Meghan Shop

Sunday, October 10, 2010

‘Supernatural: The Animation’ trailer: Excitement abounds (…and I wish I spoke Japanese)

supernatural-animation-trailerFirst, Castiel is returning tonight on Supernatural after being MIA in the first two episodes of the season. Now, a new trailer has popped up for Supernatural: The Animation. Oh, the Supe gods are smiling upon us today in a glorious way!

As you might recall, the project was announced at the beginning of summer and promptly broke my heart because it’s all in Japanese. (Although, showrunner Eric Kripke confirmed at Comic-Con that Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles would dub a couple of episodes. But call me greedy, I want them all.)  Despite the language barrier, I have great appreciation for what we’ve seen so far in previews. (The latest is embedded below.)

For one, I think the animators have hit on the proper spirit of the series, and I don’t need to hear the dialogue to infer that from the trailer. “Carry On Wayward Son” told me everything I needed to know.

Most importantly, the animated monsters look straight out of every terrible dream I’ve ever had and strike more fear in me than anything I’ve seen on the show, especially the snarling creature at the end that bears an uncanny resemblance to Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors. As good of a job as Fredric Lehne did portraying the Yellow-Eyed Demon, the cartoon version in the fedora looks like a cross between Freddy Krueger (nominee in our Psycho Killers Bracket Game!) and The Gentlemen from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A.K.A.: Your worst nightmare.

So Japanese fluency or not, I’m excited. In fact, I wish Supernatural had a bigger budget and could afford to bring some of the new, fancier monsters into the live-action version.

Warner Home Video will release the Blu-ray and DVD starter disc in Japan on February 23, 2011, and two box sets will follow on March 9 and April 6, according to the official site and translated by Anime News Network.

What about you, PopWatchers? Like what you see? Do you like Dean and Sam’s enhanced fighting skills? And is that a Christmas episode I see?!

More Supernatural ponderings on Twitter: @EWSandraG


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment