Meghan Shop

Sunday, November 7, 2010

""For Colored Girls"is a good film." - Honeychil - MovieWeb

"For Colored Girls"is a good film. I recommend it for all who may never read or see the original version on stage. The performances from ALL the women are first rate, and that alone makes it a "must see" for all of us "purists" who had a hard time envisioning the work any other way. Caution: For those familiar with N. Shange's written word, or original staging, it will be your typical Tyler Perry production, tipping the fine line between intense drama and melodrama, which has always been a major reason why I have had a hard time tolerating Tyler Perry productions, but I've always had respect for him as a business man, who seems to have a finger on the pulse of the "mainstream" when it comes to producing work for a mass audience.

The poetry is woven in masterfully, and the inclusion of a character portrayed by Loretta Devine provides much needed levity amidst all the painful intensities.

Seeing this film made me wistful...I want to see the original stage production again, the one that won home-girl Trazana Beverly her Tony....

All in all, I'm glad I did it, with all it's painful intensity, and borderline melodrama, this is an invaluable opportunity to share an artistic experience with other women, and I'm always for that...........


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment