Meghan Shop

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bristol Palin responds to Margaret Cho's charge that her mother forced her to ... - Entertainment Weekly

dwts-cho-palinImage Credit: Bob D'Amico/ABC (2)If there’s one thing the Palin family knows how to do, it’s fire back. On Saturday night, Bristol Palin posted a 655-word retort to Margaret Cho’s Nov. 29 blog post titled “Pistol Whipped” claiming that she heard from someone who “really should seriously know the dirt really really” that Bristol only did Dancing With the Stars because Sarah Palin forced her to do it. “Sarah supposedly blames Bristol harshly and openly (in the circles that I heard it from) for not winning the election,” Cho wrote, “and so she told Bristol she ‘owed’ it to her to do DWTS so that ‘America would fall in love with her again’ and make it possible for Sarah Palin to run in 2012 with America behind her all the way. Instead of being supposedly ‘handicapped’ by the presence of her teen-mom daughter, now Bristol is going to be an ‘asset’ — a celebrity beloved for her dancing.” Bristol begins her response be reiterating the reasons she’s already said she did the show: to get out of her comfort zone, exercise, and increase her confidence. She says her mother neither forced her nor asked her to do the show. “After first worrying for me in terms of being exposed to those who hate us for what we believe in, both my mom and my dad became my number one supporters. Anyone who watched the show could tell I performed better, and I felt better about myself, when they were in the audience. I wanted to make them both proud, but politics had nothing to do with it. Loving my parents had everything to do with it,” she writes.

Continuing, she says, “It saddens me that people would think that my mom would ‘blame’ me for anything that occurred in the 2008 election — much less ‘harshly’ and ‘openly.’ I think that canard (there, I said it again), has been floating around since then also.  I will set the record straight, though my mom already did in her bestselling book Going Rogue; there were a number of reasons President Obama won in 2008, but the primary reason was that the economy was starting to falter and the majority of voters thought Obama could do a better job than my mom and John McCain. It turns out, two years later, the majority of voters were wrong, but we can talk about that another time. The point is, I seriously doubt anyone who considers herself a student of American politics truly believes I impacted even one vote in that election.”

Bristol says she wanted to set the record straight, “Because it is this type of hurtful and false narrative that people promote to make my mom look bad. For 20 years my mom had my back — and for the rest of my life I will have hers.” Then, she concludes with a message for Cho, who said she considered Bristol a friend in her blog post: “To my friend Margaret Cho, if you ever have a question, call me girlfriend. Don’t ever rely on ‘sources’ who claim to know me or my family. You will be taken every time. And we need to talk. You say you ‘don’t agree with the family’s politics at all’ but I say, if you understood that commonsense conservative values supports the right of individuals like you, like all of us, to live our lives with less government interference and more independence, you would embrace us faster than KD Lang at an Indigo Girls concert.”

What do you think? I find it strange that Cho would start off her blog post saying she considers Bristol a friend, then blindside her like this. Granted, the second half of Margaret’s post was devoted to defending Bristol against those commenting on her weight (which Kathy Griffin got some boos for during last night’s VH1 Divas Salute the Troops when she referred to her as “the white Precious”) and saying how much she improved during the competition. But Bristol has a point: If you’re a “friend,” you don’t need to rely on sources, and you don’t gossip. I tuned out when Bristol took the opportunity to take a dig at Obama and try to convert Cho, but you can’t really blame her for that either: Cho opened the door to that conversation about their different political views, too. That outdated KD Lang-Indigo Girls joke, however? That Sarah should have told Bristol not to do.

Read more on EW.com:
Man pulls gun on TV over Bristol Palin’s ‘DWTS’ performance
‘Dancing With the Stars’ recap: And the winner is…
Annie’s performance finale recap: Land of the Freestyle
Photo gallery: Bristol, Kyle, and Jennifer’s Best/Worst Dances
“This is bulls—.” Maks calls in to the EW TV Insiders podcast!
Derek Hough mines for hidden gems in the ‘DWTS’ Hair Dept.!
All Hidden Gems of the Week
EW.com’s ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Central


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment