Meghan Shop

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

‘The Tempest’ trailer: Helen Mirren pulls a gender-bender in trippy adaptation

If high school English or Shakespeare in Love has taught us anything, it’s that women were denied the right to act on stage back in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. But payback, my friends, is a bitch—specifically Helen Mirren’s Prospera, the main, traditionally male character (named Prospero) in the latest film adaptation of The Tempest, which is considered to be the playwright’s last solo work.

Director Julie Taymor (Across the Universe, Frida) is at the helm of this trippy reboot, which also stars Alfred Molina, Chris Cooper, David Strathairn and Russell Brand at the jester Trinculo. And those are just some of the players in this character-filled story. Considering my high school English is failing me (Sorry, Mrs. Dobromilska!), I think I’m going to need my CliffsNotes to follow this one. Check out the trailer for the film, out Dec. 10, below:

What do you guys think of this 2010 rendering? Would you go see it? And if so, how art thou Shakespearean English?


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment